Monday 11 June 2018

The Kotel - The Power in His Presence

The Power in His Presence


During my last trip to Israel, my family and I collectively decided that we must make a visit to the Kotel (Western Wall) in the Old City (Jerusalem.)  Making this journey however, is not necessarily a simple one.

Watch the video below to follow along on our adventure:
The Old City Jerusalem - Israel 
-   B L O G     P O S T    -


View my full blog post with photos and join my journey through Jerusalem.
 
"And He said, "My presence shall go with you, and I will give you rest."
(Exodus 33:14)
BLOG POST >>>
Walking through the Arab Market, we passed makeshift stands overflowing with fresh fruit and veggies squeezed into vibrant juices and smoothies. I love seeing the produce of Israel available in such an incredible abundance both in the land and distributed around the world.
 
The fact that Israel exports fruit globally is a miracle considering that it was a barren wasteland before Jewish settlers began draining the swamps, irrigating the desert and developing the land..  Not only is it a miracle; but it's also an actual fulfillment of prophecy!
"Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me."(John 15:4)
 
"In days to come Jacob will take root, Israel will bud and blossom and fill the entire world with fruit." (Isaiah 27:6)

While looking back on the photos I took, God reminded me that in order for me to bear the fruit I want to see in my life I need to abide in Him.

The only way for us to see God's promises unfold in our life is to remain in Him.

We are human BEINGS not human DOINGS

 In our busy, high performance based culture; we tend to value achievement, success and a highly driven work ethic. In contrast to that, God has been impressing upon me the importance of simply being WITH Him and fighting the urge to work FOR Him. 
It's beautiful to see musicians performing out on the streets of Jerusalem playing songs as an expression of their faith. 

Photo taken: Mamilla, Jerusalem. 
The arts are often undervalued and unappreciated in comparison to the math and science categories in school. Pursuing creative careers such as film, music, dance, acting etc are often frowned upon - being seen as 'unrealistic';  and artists are often told to go get a 'real job.'
 
God gave us music and art as forms of worship to pull the focus off of our own capabilities and intellect; and instead, to focus on His greatness and hand in our lives. 
I absolutely love how business savvy and generous- hearted many of the Jewish people are; but I also love how they value and encourage cultural expressions of worship through dance, music and art.

There's so much joy and freedom found once we grasp the concept of worshipping God as priority over working for Him.

"You turned my wailing into dancing; ... that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent." (Psalm 30:11-12)   
  Sculpture on display at Mamila outdoor mall near Jaffa Gate, Jerusalem
READ MORE
Hannah & Avi-ad Nesher at market (shook) in Old City of Jerusalem
The Old City Jerusalem - Video Message by Hannah Nesher
Everyone is trying to answer these two major questions:
 
Identity (Who am I?)
Mission. (What am I called to do?)

Many of us find our identity in what we DO but that's backwards thinking. The truth is that once we've secured our identity in God we are able to pursue our purpose. Once we embrace the joy found in the presence of God we find everything we need to live out our calling.
 Putting written prayers into the cracks of the ancient stones of the Kotel
READ MORE
My goal above all else should be to spend time with God, become more like Him and then help bring others closer to God as well.  I'm pretty sure you want the same thing but because of the world we live in and our human nature, we can put spending time in God's presence on the back-burner of our lives.

Maybe, like me, you have at times minimized the significance of being with God and instead striven to be a super productive perfectionist, trying to win achievements for Him. God wants so much more for each one of us - He wants our hearts.
Video message by Hannah Nesher - The Kotel

No comments:

Post a Comment